Polytechnics Canada issues recommendations for Budget 2018: READ THE RELEASE
Canada’s polytechnics have significant untapped innovation and skills development potential that is key to remedying persistent productivity and competitiveness challenges. Investing in, and scaling the existing capabilities of polytechnics can yield valuable benefits to the Canadian economy.
Polytechnics Canada has released six recommendations to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance, in response to the call for measures that will enhance Canada’s productivity and competitiveness, ahead of the 2018 federal budget.
In order to address Canada’s productivity and competitiveness challenges, Polytechnics Canada calls on the government to:
- Grow support to polytechnic and college applied research and innovation by doubling funding for the College and Community Innovation Program.
- Improve business access to polytechnic innovation solutions.
- Create a regional commercialization voucher program.
- Invest in new labour market information tools such as a Skills in-demand Survey, and a Nationally Registered Apprenticeship Number.
- Scale federal work-integrated learning supports.
- Invest in prior learning assessment and recognition supports for mid-career workers.
Now is the time to harness the full capabilities of Canada’s polytechnics. In Budget 2018, the federal government should right-size the investment in polytechnic and college applied research, re-balance the disparity in its contribution to higher education R&D and re-tool and modernize its supports for learners and employers.
We look forward to working with the Committee to ensure that as our economy shifts, every Canadian is an active and productive contributor.
August 2013 submission to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance
November 2013 statement to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance
February 2014 news release: 2014 Federal Budget
November 2014 news release: Community and College Social Innovation Fund
January 2015 news release: Canada Apprentice Loan
April 2015 news release: Announcement of the 2015 Federal Budget