Who we are
Polytechnics Canada is the voice of leading research-intensive, publicly funded polytechnics, colleges and institutes of technology. We are dedicated to helping colleges and industry create jobs for tomorrow. Located in Canada’s key economic regions, the current eleven member colleges and institutes of Polytechnics Canada are: British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT), Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT), SAIT, Saskatchewan Polytechnic, Red River College, Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU), Conestoga Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, Sheridan Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, George Brown College, Seneca College and Algonquin College of Applied Arts and Technology.
Polytechnics Canada is an association. We do not offer any academic programming. We do not accredit or certify any educational programs.
Polytechnics Canada conducts public policy research, development, and analysis. We do not execute any programs, grants or contribution agreements.
Polytechnics Canada is entirely member-funded. We do not receive any government funding.
All Polytechnics Canada members are degree-granting and industry-responsive post-secondary education institutions. We are committed to creating new jobs by helping industry, especially small- and mid-sized businesses, grow through applied research and innovation. Ensuring that graduates find highly qualified jobs is a paramount motivation.
Representing one of three pillars in Canada’s post-secondary education sector, along with universities and colleges, members of Polytechnics Canada are innovation intermediaries, bridging the gap between research and commercial needs.
Polytechnic institutions provide a unique type of education. Our programs are multi-skilled, multi-disciplined and industry-responsive. Our job-ready students are actively engaged in applied practical research that will help businesses and the economy grow. 85 per cent of them find work within six months of graduation.
Polytechnics Canada speaks and acts for:
- 193, 600 full-time students
- 89, 207 part-time students
- 45,873 apprenticeship students
- 30, 565 international students (including ESL)
The members of Polytechnics Canada offer:
- 122 standalone bachelor degrees
- 21 joint bachelor degrees with universities
- 800 diploma programs
- Over 500 certificate programs
- 266 apprenticeships in 52 Red Seal Trades
- Over 250 graduate certificate programs
This data is from the 2014-2015 academic year, based on membership of 11 institutions
Polytechnics Canada members play a critical role in enhancing Canada’s productivity and innovation by collaborating with industry to solve commercial problems. We focus on the serious gap, the valley of death, which separates research from the market. The process is known as late-stage commercialization.
Through their joint lab facilities, networks and specializations, Polytechnics Canada members provide solutions to industry problems and accelerate knowledge transfer. In short, we put research into meaningful practice in a wide range of commercial sectors.
Polytechnics Canada members offer:
- Four-year bachelor degree programs with a focus on (or in) applied studies
- Joint bachelor degrees with universities
- Diplomas at the technologist and technician levels
- Apprenticeship programs
- Post-graduate certificates
- Continuing education programs
- Post-secondary certificate courses
- Specialized corporate and government training
- Online learning and distance education
- Solutions for industry through applied research
- Newcomer integration assistance
Polytechnics Canada members share an extensive track record in applied research and in fostering research partnerships with industry. We conduct applied research based on identified industry needs aimed at specific commercial objectives.
Polytechnics Canada members play a growing role in Canada and internationally in all phases of applied research and commercial development activities, including:
- Proof of concept
- Product development
- Market testing and product validation
- Applied social science and skills assessment investigations
- Training of high-quality personnel
Please click here for a one-page summary of our Association.